More than 800 people have signed. Join us in supporting Rabbi Klein, the Tannenbaum Chabad House and a more just Northwestern University:
To the Northwestern University community – students, faculty, administration and trustees:
Recently, Northwestern University chose to disaffiliate from the Tannenbaum Chabad House and Rabbi Dov Hillel Klein. No longer will the Tannenbaum Chabad House be recognized as an affiliate of the University and Rabbi Klein will no longer be recognized as part of the Chaplain’s group of affiliates. As a practical matter, this means that the Tannenbaum Chabad House and Rabbi Klein are no longer welcome to participate in any programs, services or events on University property.
Therefore, we, the undersigned citizens of this great institution, wish to affirm:
1) Our shock: For nearly three decades, the Northwestern University community has benefited from the support and dedication of the Tannenbaum Chabad House and Rabbi Klein. An icon at this institution, Rabbi Klein has positively enhanced student life in numerous ways. The sudden decision to disaffiliate is distressing and disheartening.
2) Our concern: We express concern that this disaffiliation was conducted without student input, adequate due process, and transparency. We further express concern in the manner that this disaffiliation was implemented.
3) Our sadness: Northwestern University ought to manifest the noblest aspirations of civilization. The decision to disaffiliate will neither enhance the diverse campus culture, nor will it reflect well outside of Evanston.
4) Our request: We call for an outside independent inquiry to review the decision to disaffiliate and the process by which it came about. We further call upon the Tannenbaum Chabad House and Northwestern University to fully support this inquiry. We further request that the University administration publicly articulate a clear process to reinstating the Tannenbaum Chabad House and Rabbi Klein.
5) Our hope: Let us not be the University that is unable to admit that it is susceptible to err; and when faced with an issue with such serious consequence, brushes aside concerns. We hope that a result satisfactory to all parties will emerge.